savory eggs, smoky sausage and sweet sauteed peppers & onions, smothered in melted cheese and tucked into a tortilla - these sausage, egg & cheese breakfast tacos have it all!
ahhh breakfast. the best meal of the day - to me at least. at breakfast, anything goes. sweet, savory, sweet and savory. whatever strikes your fancy, it'll work and be delicious first thing in the a.m. or, as the case may be, any time of day.
here in america, we tend to play it safe when it comes to breakfast. you know, cereal, (avocado) toast, porridge or yogurt. pancakes, waffles, french toast and biscuits. eggs, bacon and sausage, that type of thing. but around the world, the majority of other cultures spice it up - literally. meats and cheeses, curries and noodle dishes. greens and grains. one of the most exciting things about travel is learning about new cultures and places through food, and breakfast is always a good place to start.
these sausage, egg & cheese breakfast tacos take a page from that book, and while we did enjoy them at dinnertime, they make a spectacularly tasty early morning meal. hearty, cheesy, packed with protein and whole grains. satisfying, filling and fast, these tacos are guaranteed to keep you going for hours.
recipe: sausage, egg & cheese breakfast tacos
- 4 eggs
- 2 breakfast sausage patties - we use the vegetarian ones from trader joe's
- 3 cheese singles - the kind from trader joe's - OR 1/2c shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- 1/2 onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper (not green), finely sliced
- 4 small whole wheat tortillas, or 2 large
- salt & pepper
- garlic powder
- hot sauce - cholula brand recommended
- 1 Tbsp finely sliced scallions, optional
- 1 tsp olive oil
- canola oil cooking spray
- heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-low
- when hot, add the onion & pepper and a sprinkle of salt. cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is translucent and the peppers are beginning to brown.
- remove from heat and set aside
- while the onions/peppers are cooking, cook the sausage patties according to package directions (we bake them @ 425 for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through)
- when the sausage patties are cooked, transfer to a cutting board and roughly chop
- scramble the eggs in a bowl. add a splash of water (about 1 tsp or so), and season with salt, pepper & garlic powder & cholula to taste
- coat a skillet with canola cooking spray & heat on low
- when the skillet is hot, add the eggs and allow to set for 30 second or so. cook, covered, stirring occasionally, so that the eggs are scrambled into nice big chunks
- when the eggs are cooked, add the chopped sausage patties to the skillet, along with the onions and peppers and stir gently to combine.
- top the egg-sausage mix with the cheese singles (or grated cheese) and cover
- set the tortillas on two plates. when the cheese is fully melted, distribute it evenly among the tortillas
- top with chopped scallions and extra cholula, if desired
s & h