buttery avocado. roasted butternut squash. salty queso fresco. tossed with hot pasta & capped with a fried egg. balanced, healthy, hearty & craveable - this pasta dish has it all!
this pasta... wow. avocado, creamy egg, sweet, roasted butternut squash & salty cheese tossed with hot pasta. for such a simple dish, the flavors are out of this world.
avocado and egg is one of my favorite flavor combinations - the richness of the avocado & savoriness of the egg play off each other perfectly. it's a simple pairing that's classic for a reason - it's just plain good!
avocado pasta is pretty common - a pureed sauce of avocado, garlic, a touch of lemon and salt & pepper. simple enough and incredibly creamy - perfect for tossing with hot pasta. for this recipe we took that basic concept and built on it, keeping the avocado in larger pieces and adding butternut squash & queso fresco. an egg on top makes the meal complete.
cheese. everyone loves the stuff, be it the real deal made with milk (from cows/sheep/goats), or vegetarian/vegan versions with a plant/nut base. when i spotted queso fresco at the market, i (gleefully) snatched it up and knew it needed to be a part of this pasta. queso fresco is a mexican cheese that literally means 'fresh cheese'. it is traditionally made from raw cow milk but here in the state's it (like nearly all cheese) is pasteurized. the flavors are intensely light and milky, with a distinctive, mildly salty bite - there is nothing dense or heavy about it - & when it hits the hot pasta it softens, blending with the chunky avocado and roasted squash. i should note that queso fresco is not a melting cheese, like mozzarella or cheddar. if you can't find it in your local market or don't want to commit to the large package sold at costco (i hear you - that is a lot of cheese), grated (or finely crumbled) feta or an equal mix of feta and cottage cheese should work as a stand-in.
this pasta with egg & avocado is a must try - even if you're an avocado-mixed-with-pasta sceptic! one bite & you'll be craving more. and more...
recipe: pasta with egg & avocado
- 1/3 box pasta - any shape will work, we used penne
- 1/2 large or 1 small avocado, cut into small chunks & lightly sprinkled with salt & pepper
- 1 c roasted butternut squash
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 - 3/4 c grated queso fresco*
- 2 scallions, finely sliced - optional but recommended
- oil or cooking spray
- salt & pepper
- preheat the oven to 425 & lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet
- toss chunks of peeled butternut squash with a drizzle of oil or a spritz of canola oil spray (we prefer the spray - it tends to coat the squash better) & a sprinkle of salt & pepper
- roast for 25 minutes, then toss in the pan & continue roasting for 10 - 15 minutes, checking after 10. the squash is done when it is easily pierced with a sharp knife.
- remove from oven & set aside
- heat a large pot of water & cook pasta according to package directions. when the pasta is cooked, drain & set aside.
- while the pasta is cooking, heat a lightly greased skillet on low (we use canola spray - again, it coats better - or 1 tsp of oil)
- when the pan is just hot, crack in two eggs & sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper
- cover & cook until the whites are white (no longer opaque) - the yolk should still be runny (or cook to desired level of doneness)
- spoon the (drained) pasta into two large bowls
- immediately toss with the queso fresco
- carefully mix in the butternut squash & avocado chunks
- top each bowl with an egg & a sprinkle of scallions
- serve & enjoy!
note: if you can't find queso fresco & don't have/like feta or cottage cheese, any mild cheese (mozzarella, jack) will work - just make sure to mix it in at the very end, once the pasta has cooled for a few minutes - you do not want it to be fully melted!
s & h