this creamy caramelized onion-bleu cheese dip has it all. creamy, rich, a bit salty and a bit sweet. the classic flavors of mellow caramelized onions and tangy bleu cheese showcased in every tasty bite.
what do you get when you cross a classic onion dip & a tangy bleu cheese dressing? dip bliss, that's what! and that is exactly what this dip is. bold flavors, a creamy base. sweet, tangy, salty. nuggets of sharp blue cheese and pockets of caramelized onion throughout.
this creamy caramelized onion - bleu cheese dip combines sweet, rich caramelized onions with the tang of bleu cheese. nothing artificial here - just simple, straight up ingredients showcased to their fullest potential.
a word or two on bleu cheese... creamy, laced with veins of purple-ish blue and with a distinctive tangy bite - bleu cheese can be an acquired taste. there are so many kinds - some soft and melty, others hard and crumbly. some mild, some very, very pungent. i first developed a taste for the stuff in the form of a walnut-bleu cheese sourdough bread - an unusual yet surprisingly delicious flavor combination. that said, we really have to be in the mood for bleu cheese - it is definitely not an always-in-the-fridge type of cheese.
for this dip i wanted the bleu cheese to be on the harder side, to have a real presence and stand up to the creamy flavors of the dip. soft and gooey just wasn't going to cut it. and so i ventured to the whole foods cheese counter. i've got to give a shout out to those cheese-mongers. despite calling me ma'am - not that that my 32 year old self is still smarting over that or anything - they showed me a ton of different options. some from places that i didn't even know made bleu cheese (i'm looking at you, ireland!). i eventually came away with a wisconsin buttermilk bleu. dense and crumbly, with a distinctive-yet-mild buttermilk tang & just a hint of sweetness. similar to gorgonzola - a common variety found at most grocery stores - it is the perfect balance for the deep sweetness of the caramelized onions.
grab some spicy wings (our vegetarian buffalo wings, naturally!) or some simple greens & veggies and prepare for a dip experience like no other. seriously guys, you've gotta try this stuff!
recipe: creamy caramelized onion - bleu cheese dip
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
- 1/2 medium onion, very thinly sliced
- generous 1/4 c blue cheese, crumbled (gorgonzola or wisconsin buttermilk bleu recommended)
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- apple cider vinegar 1/2 - 3/4 tsp
- 1 Tbsp milk +, to thin
- 2 tsp olive oil
- heat the oil in a skillet on low.
- add the onion, a pinch of salt & stir. cover and cook, stirring every few minutes until the onion begins to brown.
- remove cover and continue cooking, stirring frequently until the onion has reduced in size by about 1/2 and is dark brown and very thick. remove from heat and set aside.
- meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the mayo, sour cream, blue cheese, 1/2 tsp vinegar & 1 Tbsp milk. add a pinch of salt & pepper & scant 1/8 tsp garlic powder.
- add the cooled caramelized onions & combine.
- taste, adding more milk (1 Tbsp at a time) and a bit more vinegar or spices as needed.
- serve with your favorite wings or veggies!
s & h