egg. avocado. (multi grain) croissant. this egg & avocado croissant sandwich takes a simple slice of avocado toast to a whole new level!
avocado toast is having a moment. it is everywhere these days. i'll admit i was technically fairly late to the avocado toast game. that is, i've adored it for years, ever since i worked at a bakery in utah. the staff meal was often a hearty slice of fresh bread, slathered with creamy avocado. an egg on top, a few dashes of cholula hot sauce - for whatever reason it had to be cholula! i loved that meal - to this day, clearly - but i never knew it was a thing, with a name, a gussied up version of a simple slice of avocado toast. i never called it anything but delicious. this egg & avocado croissant sandwich is my updated version of that staff meal egg-topped avocado toast, and man is it tasty.
a fresh multi-grain croissant loaded with rich avocado & topped with a fried egg, crisp veggies & cholula. what's not to like? the flavor/texture combo just works - creamy, toasty, crisp & fresh. just a bit hot sauce to bring subtle heat and tang, somehow tying the elements together & making the flavors pop.
this is one sandwich worth getting up for. or sitting down to savor for a quick lunch or dinner. it comes together in a snap, is filled with healthy goodness (protein, fiber, nutrients, whole grains) from the avocado, egg & veggies - and that croissant is multi grain, after all ;) - making it the perfect family-friendly meal.
do yourself (and your family) a favor and make this sandwich. one bite and you'll see what all the fuss is about!
recipe: (the ultimate) egg & avocado croissant sandwich
serves: 1 (easily increased)
- 1 croissant - we use multi grain & highly recommend it
- 1 egg
- 1/3 - 1/2 avocado - depending on size of avocado!
- 2 - 4 tomato slices - depending on size of tomato!
- 1 large leaf of lettuce
- cholula hot sauce
- salt & pepper
- heat a toaster oven (or regular oven) to 400
- slice the croissant & toast until the croissant is just starting to crisp. remove from oven and set aside
- heat a well greased skillet over a low flame (we use a canola oil cooking spray for this, but butter or oil works just as well)
- when the skillet is barely hot, carefully crack in the egg & sprinkle lightly with salt & pepper
- cover & cook until the egg white is white (no longer opaque) and the yolk is just barely beginning to set (or to desired level of doneness)
- remove from heat & add a few dashes of cholula
- using a sharp knife, carefully cut a cross-hatch in the avocado & squeeze onto a board. mix in a sprinkle of salt & pepper & spread on both sides of the toasted croissant
- top the bottom half of the croissant with the egg, then the lettuce & tomato
- cap the sandwich with the other half of the croissant.
s & h