crisp broccoli, smoky bacon & creamy cheddar cheese sandwiched in a buttery (multi-grain) croissant. an out-of-this-world flavor combo!
when i was a kid, croissant sandwiches were in the regular meal rotation. simple, fast and just plain good, they were a definite family favorite.
regardless of the filling, my mom always used sara lee brand frozen croissants - stored in the freezer, they were on hand when that croissant sandwich craving hit. nowadays we use bakery croissants - costco bakery croissants, to be specific - not because we're fancy or anything (um, yeah, they're from costco) but because those classic sara lee croissants are mysteriously hard to find. but the best thing about bakery croissants is that they happen to be larger - no surprise there - and therefore hold a lot more filling, which is a very good thing. who wouldn't want more fresh, steamed broccoli, smoky bacon and cheese - lots and lots of cheese - nestled in that flaky, buttery croissant?
growing up, the classic fillings were broccoli & cheese and ham & cheese. these broccoli, bacon & cheddar croissant sandwiches are the perfect combination of those broccoli & cheese and ham & cheese sandwiches. we've simply swapped the ham for crisp bacon & added it into the broccoli-cheese mix. this is the croissant sandwich of my childhood - remixed & all grown up!
recipe: broccoli, bacon & cheddar croissant sandwiches
- 1 croissant - multi-grain recommended
- 3/4 c steamed broccoli, patted dry & chopped
- 2 strips bacon, cooked & broken into small pieces
- 1/3c cheddar cheese, grated
- preheat the oven (or toaster oven) to 425 degrees
- slice the croissant & layer 1/2 of the cheese on the bottom half.
- top the cheese with the bacon, and top the bacon with the broccoli
- add the remaining cheese on top of the broccoli & cap with the other half of the croissant
- put the croissant on a small baking sheet - or piece of aluminum foil - & bake for 5 - 10 minutes, until the cheese is completely melted and the croissant is slightly crisp.
- remove from oven & enjoy!
b & h