sweet caramelized onions, peppers & mushrooms combined with gooey, melted brie cheese. this grilled brie & caramelized veggie sandwich is our fancy take on the classic grilled cheese!
you know those nights when you just want a grilled cheese sandwich? that basic, perfect combo of gooey cheese & crusty bread? but... you want to feel just a tad more adult? this is that sandwich.
let's get real for a second here. whether you have kids or not, we all know that a grilled cheese is one of the major food groups. unfortunately, when it comes to kids, bread and cheese are typically the only acceptable elements of a grilled cheese. this sandwich is perfect for those nights when the kids want a grilled cheese for dinner and will accept nothing less, but you want some semblance of a more grown up sandwich. combine sweet caramelized onions, peppers & mushrooms with rich, oozy brie cheese between two slices of crusty sourdough bread. a few minutes in a hot pan and what've you got? grown up grilled cheese, that's what!
once you try this sandwich, you'll be the one begging the kids for grilled cheese night - a meal that makes everyone happy, every time. winner winner grilled-cheese dinner!
recipe: grilled brie and caramelized veggie sandwiches
- 4 slices sourdough (or other rustic) bread
- 4 thick slices brie cheese (swiss or mozzerella also work)
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 4 button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1/4 bell pepper - not green - thinly sliced
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil (generous drizzle)
feel free to change up the veggies - plain caramelized onions are amazing on their own
- add the oil to a skillet and heat on low
- when the oil is hot, add the veggies and a pinch of salt. cover, and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes
- when the veggies have begun to brown, the caramelizing process has begun, and that browning on the bottom of the pan is a good thing!
- continue to stir, scraping up those brown bits until the veggies have shrunk by about 1/2 and are almost melting together.
- remove from heat and set aside
- heat a grill pan (or skillet) on low
- place two slices of the bread in the skillet, and top each slice with a piece of brie - broken up slightly to cover the bread
- top the cheese with 1/2 the veggie mixture
- top the veggies with another slice of cheese, broken up to cover the veggies
- cap the sandwich with the second slice of plain bread, cover the pan lightly with foil and cook until the cheese is beginning to melt and the bread is golden
- flip and cook on the second side until the cheese is fully melted and the bread is golden
- remove from heat, let stand 2 minutes
- *panini-maker version
- if you are the proud owner of a panini maker - lucky you! - this sandwich is easily adapted to it.
- on a board (or plate) assemble the sandwich - bread, cheese, veggies, cheese, bread - and place the entire thing in the panini maker
- cook according to machine instructions
- slice and enjoy!
s & h