a loaded burrito in salad form, this taco salad with black beans & chorizo showcases roasted squash, sauteed onions/peppers/corn, creamy black beans and spicy chorizo. the flavors of the southwest in one healthy bowl.
we eat a lot of salad. i mean, big salads for dinner at least once a week - crusty, buttery bread always on the side! if a dish can be re-created in salad form, chances are it'll find it's way onto our table sooner or later!
this taco salad with black beans and chorizo is as pretty as it is tasty. composed salads - a salad where all of the ingredients are arranged around the greens - tend to be & are a favorite of ours. they allow the flavors of the individual ingredients to really shine & are very customizable - the perfect family-friendly meal.
creamy, protein-packed black beans and spicy (vegetarian) chorizo are the highlights of this dish. chile-roasted potatoes and sweet roasted butternut squash compliment those flavors, and quick-sauteed onions, yellow bell peppers and corn add that extra southwestern flair. a mix of fresh, classic salad ingredients tie the whole thing together. shredded cheese on top and creamy honey mustard dressing on the side - trust me, it works! paired with warm tortillas, this salad takes the humble taco to a whole new - extra healthy - level.
recipe: taco salad with black beans & chorizo
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 14oz can cuban-style black beans or regular black beans*
- 1/2 package of veggie chorizo - meat chorizo will work
- 1/2 bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 c corn kernels - we use frozen
- 2 gold or red-skinned potatoes, chopped into large chunks
- 1 c roasted butternut squash
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 small or 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1/2 avocado, smashed
- salt & pepper - to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder - divided (1/4 & 1/4)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder - divided (1/4 & 1/4)
- 1/4 tsp tumeric - optional
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 c shredded cheese - we used colby jack but any mild cheese works
- honey-mustard dressing (or your fave)
- 4 medium or 2 large tortillas - for serving
- preheat the oven to 425
- toss the potatoes with 1 tsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, the tumeric (if using) and salt and pepper to taste.
- pour onto a baking sheet and roast for 25. toss, then return to the oven for another 10 - 15 minutes more.
- remove from oven, wrap tightly in foil and set aside
- in a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil over medium heat. when hot, add the onions, peppers & corn. sprinkle with salt, pepper, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder and the cumin & cook, stirring occasionally.
- when the onions and peppers are cooked through and golden brown, remove from heat and set aside.
- grease a small skillet with cooking spray and add the chorizo
- cook, covered over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the chorizo is beginning to brown and is cooked through. remove from heat and set aside.
- wash and dry the lettuce and divide between the plates
- arrange the tomato, carrots, avocado, black beans, sauteed onion/pepper/corn, chorizo, roasted butternut squash, black beans and potatoes around the plate
- put half of the cheese in the center of each plate
- serve with dressing and tortillas on the side.
s & h