these maple-almond energy balls with coconut & cacao pack a ton of flavor into each bite. not too sweet and filled with healthy goodness, they are the perfect quick snack for kids and adults alike.
can there ever be too many recipes for energy bites? possibly, but not in our house! they really are the perfect snack - easy and quick to prepare, loaded with incredibly tasty (yet still healthy) ingredients and very kid-friendly. what's not to love?
these maple-almond energy bites have a subtle sweetness thanks to the maple syrup and banana. almond butter adds a creamy depth of flavor and the chia, hemp & coconut are mild and nutty - plus full fiber and a ton of other nutrients. oats are the perfect base to tie all of the flavors together.
the key ingredient to these energy bites is the cacao. i know, i know, cacao is not the cheapest thing in the world. i like to think of it as being a bit like safron - a little goes a long way and it keeps for a long time if stored properly - but the crunch and mild, rounded chocolate flavor it brings just can't be beat.
head to the kitchen and whip up a batch of these energy bites with the kids - you'll be feeling good and energized after one tasty bite!
recipe: maple-almond energy bites with coconut & cacao
yields: 8 - 10 balls
- 3/4 c - 1c oats (we use quick oats)
- 1 small, very ripe banana, mashed
- 2 heaping Tbsp almond butter
- 2 heaping Tbsp sliced almonds
- salt - a pinch
- cinnamon - 1/4 - 1/2 tsp (or to taste)
- 1 - 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp raisins
- 1/4 c shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 generous Tbsp cacao nibs
- 2 - 3 generous Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- in a medium bowl, combine the mashed banana, almond butter, maple syrup & oats.
- stir in the chia seeds, hemp seeds, salt & cinnamon - taste and adjust spices as needed
- stir in the raisins and cacao nibs
- form the mixture into golf-ball size balls - or whatever size you prefer - and set on a plate
- freeze the balls for 1 hour, or until totally solid.
- remove from plate, put into a freezer-safe bag and store in the fridge or freezer
h & s