our take on the classic. golden cornbread, studded with scallions and mild green chiles - the perfect side for any hearty soup or stew.
cornbread is one of those classic recipes that pairs well with so many things. it's quick to prepare, uses pantry-staple ingredients and has a short bake-time, making it the perfect side for a huge range of dishes. this green chile - scallion cornbread is something that we make so frequently, i no longer even need to consult the recipe - it practically makes itself!
all cornbread is naturally whole grain, and boasts a mild sweetness and subtle nuttiness from the cornmeal. we've added green chiles to bring a bit of tang and spice to the dish without a lot of heat - the perfect addition to jazz it up but still keep it kid-friendly - and scallions add a hint of onion flavor, without being overpowering. of course, the basic recipe is delicious as is, without any add-ins, but they really do add that extra little something to take the flavors of this dish over-the-top.
serve this tasty cornbread alongside soups, stews, or salads. slathered with butter and drizzled with maple syrup (or honey), it is sure to make any meal extra special.
recipe: green chile - scallion cornbread
serves: 6 - 9
- 3/4 c (heaping) cornmeal
- 1 1/4 c white whole wheat flour (unbleached all purpose works)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/4 c almond milk (any milk will work)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 2 Tbsp finely sliced scallions (green onions) OR 2 Tbsp finely minced onion
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees, lightly grease an 8x8" baking dish and set aside
- combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt & sugar in a large bowl
- in a separate bowl, combine the milk, egg, oil, scallions and chiles
- add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir until just combined
- pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes
- check, and continue cooking another 5 - 10 minutes, until a knife or toothpick comes out clean
- slice, slather with butter & honey (or maple syrup!) & enjoy!
h & s