packed with tender veggies and creamy chickpeas, this pasta with onions, peppers & artichokes is an easy, fast & healthy family-friendly dinner any night of the week!
this pasta was a happy kitchen accident.
you see, i had a completely different recipe (pasta with a thick, rich mediterranean-style roasted eggplant/pepper/artichoke /feta sauce) in mind, but then my beautiful-on-the-outside eggplant turned out to be not-so-beautiful on the inside, and so here we are. a different, but oh so tasty dish.
peppers, onions, zucchini & artichokes are sauteed with chickpeas and spices until they are meltingly tender. tossed with hot pasta and sharp parmesan cheese, garnished with feta. decadent in flavor, but still a very healthy dish - the chickpeas add a boost of protein, while the veggies add a vibrant mix of nutrients, textures & flavors.
give this pasta a try - you'll see for yourself how surprisingly successful an accidental recipe can be!
recipe: pasta with onions, peppers & artichokes
serves: 2 generous servings
- 1/4 - 1/3 box rigatoni pasta
- 1/2 bell pepper - not green - cut into large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 small zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 c artichoke hearts (the frozen ones are great)
- 1/4 c cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
- 4 Tbsp shredded parm/asiago mix (or more grated parm)
- 4 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese - optional, but recommended
- salt & pepper
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp dried oregano, basil & garlic powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and cook the pasta (according to the box directions)
- heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- when hot, add the peppers, onion, garlic & zucchini. sprinkle lightly with salt, reduce heat to low & cover
- cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- when the onions and veggies are cooked through, add the artichoke hearts & chickpeas
- add a pinch of salt and pepper and a dash (1/8 tsp or so) of the dried oregano, basil and garlic powder
- stir, cover and continue to cook another 5 - 10 minutes, until the artichoke hearts are fully cooked.
- remove from heat and set aside
- when the pasta is cooked & drained, spoon into serving bowls
- immediately top each bowl with 2 tbsp of the grated parmesan
- top that with 1/2 of the veggie mixture
- top the veggie mixture with 1/2 the parm/asiago mix (or more grated parm)
- sprinkle the feta on top
s & h