this baby dragon smoothie is our kid-friendly take on the original 'green monster'. packed with good-for-you spinach, superfood chia & hemp, protein-packed yogurt and sweet bananas, this green smoothie tastes like dessert - but packs a serious nutritious punch!
green smoothies!! so delicious, so nutritious! ok, that said it is definitely easy to be put off by drinking something green. but for anyone who's tasted a real, fruit laden, super thick milkshake-quality green smoothie, you know what i'm talking about.
as all parents know, it can be... lets say challenging to get the kiddies to eat enough veggies. or any veggies. luckily in our house that isn't usually an issue, but five year olds being five year olds, it sometimes is. that's where green smoothies come in. also, it doesn't hurt to give foods fun names (i.e. baby dragon).
'green monster' smoothies are all over the place these days, but the 'baby dragon' is just a teensy smaller & maybe a weensy bit sweeter than the standard. but... so healthy & packed full of nutritious goodies that parents will swoon, all the while letting the kids believe they're drinking a fun green milkshake. don't you just love how that works out?!
ok, on to the health factor. the greek yogurt provides protein & calcium. the baby spinach brings iron, fiber to the mix. frozen berries & frozen banana make it creamy and sweet, while the chia & hemp seeds add even more protein, fiber & creaminess. this smoothie is a win on pretty much every level.
go on, whip one up & sit back while the little ones slurp down their fancy shake - oh, and feel free to help yourself!
h & s
recipe: baby dragon smoothie (makes 1 large or 2 small)
- 1 small-medium very ripe banana, peeled, sliced & frozen
- 1c chopped frozen berries (we use a blend of berries, cherries & cranberries)
- 1/2 small apple - optional
- 1 1/2 c baby spinach leaves
- 1/2c plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp chia seed
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- 1/4c + water
- layer the ingredients in a blender, starting with the liquid & ending with the solids.
- blend on high until the mix is very thick & all of the ingredients are fully pulverized and incorporated - you may need to add more water if the mix is too thick for your blender to handle
- pour into a cup, garnish with more fruit if desired & enjoy!
- note: a high speed blender is the best for this type of smoothie, but a regular blender or food processor should work, the mix might need a bit more liquid to help the blender out.