perfect for the holidays, these chocolate-peppermint pretzels are an impressive yet easy to prepare treat for kids and adults alike!
salty pretzels. rich chocolate. cool, crunchy peppermint. these chocolate - peppermint pretzels are a festive little treat all wrapped up in a bite size package. perfect for a holiday party - or mid-afternoon (or anytime) - nibble. think peppermint bark, only with the addition of a salty pretzel. a festive holiday bite if ever there was one.
just as halloween and thanksgiving are the pumpkin season (thank you, trader joe's!), christmas and new years are the season for peppermint, chocolate, entertaining & gift-giving. these chocolate-peppermint pretzels are a treat that hits the mark & everyone loves. and bonus - they are super simple to prepare, use a handful of basic ingredients and are very kid-friendly. win!
while the holidays are a time for families and friends to gather in the kitchen and create scrumptious, traditional dishes, they are also for memories, the old and new. these pretzels are on the newer side, but are definitely a keeper. fun to make, fun to eat. holiday fun at it's finest.
lets' get to it!
recipe: chocolate - peppermint pretzels
- 1 - 2 cups pretzels - pretzel chips, squares, or the standard mini shape
- 2 c (1 standard bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips/chunks
- 2 c (1 standard bag) white chocolate chips
- 5 candy canes (normal size) or 15+ small
- spread a sheet of parchment on a baking sheet
- put the candy canes in a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin until fine, but with some small chunks remaining. put in a shallow bowl and set aside
- in a microwave-safe bowl, heat the chocolate for 30 seconds. stir & repeat until the chocolate is totally melted and silky smooth,
- in a separate bowl, melt the white chocolate using the same method as the dark
- one at a time, dip each pretzel in the chocolate, shake off any excess and then dip in the crushed candy canes. lay flat on the parchment-lined cookie sheet
- repeat with remaining pretzels
- chill in the fridge until the chocolate is fully set - 15 - 30 minutes should do it
- remove from fridge and serve!
h & s