filled with a swirl of pesto, sundried tomatoes and parmesan cheese, this savory bread is flavor-packed, amazingly easy to prepare & a definite crowd pleaser!
back when ben & lived in utah, i worked in a bakery that made something called savory bread. as in, that's what the bread was called - not just a generic term for not-sweet breads. of course, when i first started working there i didn't realize that this savory bread was an actual thing, so when customers would ask for it, i would proceed to list all of the other types of savory - not sweet - breads we sold. once i caught on that there was in fact a savory bread called savory bread, you can imagine my embarrassment. ahhh... memories.
so that brings me to this bread - my take on the original.
yeasty dough swirled with garlicky pesto, sweet sundried tomatoes and salty parmesan & asiago cheese. that combination of ingredients is about as savory - and delicious - as it gets.
this bread is perfect on it's own, slathered with butter, dipped into soups or used for sandwiches. but regardless of how you eat it, you will definitely see what all the fuss is about!
let's get baking!
recipe: savory bread
- 1 loaf refrigerated bread dough
- 3 Tbsp prepared pesto
- 1/3 c shredded parmesan/asiago cheese
- 3 Tbsp sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan (the canned stuff is great!)
- place the dough on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- when the dough is fully thawed and has risen slightly (about 5 - 8 hours), preheat the oven to 350
- grease another baking sheet, or line with parchment. set aside
- on a lightly floured board, gently roll out the dough into a rectangle - about 12 x 6", give or take
- spoon on the pesto, sprinkle on the sundried tomatoes and top that with the shredded cheese
- tuck in the sides and roll the dough away from you, forming a log
- transfer to the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with the grated parmesan
- bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped
- remove from the oven, slice and enjoy!
h & s