packed with the roasted squash, crisp apples, creamy chickpeas & fresh veggies, this harvest salad is as tasty as it is beautiful.
this salad has all of the good things about fall, while maintaining some of the essential elements of a refreshing summer salad. light and hearty all at once - perfect as a main course (with some maple-dijon tofu!) or an energy-sustaining lunch.
i love salad. there, i said it. i can honestly say that i eat salad nearly every single day - sometimes twice a day! veggies are my fave - pretty much all of them (except fennel, shudder) and my salads tend to be totally loaded. go big or go home, right?
this salad does not disappoint - all of the essential salad-elements are in there & it meets all of the textural criteria: crisp, creamy, sweet, crunchy, chewy. boom - salad goodness in a bowl.
serve with some warm crusty bread & a glass of wine, and you're in business!
recipe: harvest salad
yield: 2 large salads or 4 small
- 1 c peeled, cubed butternut squash
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- 4 packed cups of romaine lettuce (any lettuce will work)
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 1/2 c chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 small apple, chopped (leave the peel on!)
- honey mustard dressing
- chopped pecans - optional
- for the squash - heat the oven to 425 & grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray or oil
- toss the squash with oil or cooking spray & season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- spread on the baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes. check the squash, moving it about on the pan. return to the oven and continue the process at 5-minute intervals until it is tender & forming those delicious crusty edges. remove from oven and set aside
- in a large bowl combine all of the remaining salad ingredients except the dressing.
- serve the dressing along-side (we like to dip), or pour on as much as you like, tossing to coat the ingredients
s & h