packed with peanut butter & studded with chocolate chips, these chocolate chip-peanut butter cookies bring the classic flavors of peanut butter and chocolate together in every tender, scrumptious bite!
one of the easiest & most fun ways of creating new recipes is to simply take a reliable favorite and tweak it here and there. usually, it results in a success. of course there are those other times when the outcome is, well, not quite what you were going for. but still tasty, of course! or sometimes not...
anyway, that's how this chocolate chip-peanut butter cookie recipe came to be. we had a hankering for peanut butter cookies. easy, right? no prob. but then discovered that we had only the meager scrapings at the bottom of the peanut butter jar. after some quick thinking it dawned on us to modify our standard chocolate chip cookie recipe by replacing some of the butter with peanut butter.
- it definitely should be noted here that baking is a very exact science, and even the smallest change in the mix will change the end result -
we discovered that changing the type of fat yielded a tall, fluffy-but-still-dense cookie with a perfectly peanut buttery chocolate chip cookie flavor. the peanut butter chips added that special something, really driving the peanut butter presence home, while the dark chocolate chunks maintained the integrity of the chocolate chip cookie. in other words, a perfect mix.
S & h
recipe: chocolate chip-peanut butter cookies (yields 10-14 cookies)
- 3 generous Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 4 Tbsp softened butter
- scant 1/2 c brown sugar
- scant 1/4c granulated sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 Tbsp water - or one real egg)
- 1 generous tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c white all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- scant 1/4 c dark chocolate chunks
- scant 1/4 c peanut butter chips
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a regular bowl, armed with a wooden spoon) beat the peanut butter & butter until totally combined and fluffy (about 1 - 2 minutes)
- add the sugars & beat another 1-2 minutes
- add the vanilla & flax egg, beat another minute
- add the flour, baking soda and salt, beat until the ingredients begin to come together & form a ball
- add the peanut butter chips & chocolate chunks, beat another 30 seconds or so, until the chips/chunks are mixed into the dough
- scoop the dough into little balls (a bit larger than a golf ball) and evenly space on a baking sheet. (we managed to fit 13 cookies on one sheet, so you might need two depending on size)
- bake for 7 minutes. check the cookies, and bake another 5 minutes more. check again, and continue baking another 3 minutes.
- remove from oven and cool on a wire rack