the perfect on-the-go snack, these little energy bites pack big flavors - peanut butter, banana, oats & nuts - in every bite.
energy bites are essentially mini granola bars, rolled into tasty little balls. they freeze very well, and are great to grab for a healthy breakfast or snack - at home or on the go!
these days it seems like there are loads of recipes for energy balls, bites & bars floating around the web. many of the recipes i've seen contain protein powder - something i definitely do NOT want helena eating - or uncommon (at least to ours & i'm assuming most houses) ingredients like spirulina, matcha powder, etc). not what i think of when i want to whip up a healthy, simple bite for helena (and myself - let's be honest, these things are delicious!).
this recipe uses everyday ingredients - peanut butter (any nut or seed butter will work), banana, raisins, nuts... all things i always have on hand, making these little bites easy to make after school or in the evening. store them in the freezer, and they're on hand when you need a boost or sweet treat in the afternoon... or morning... or whenever! and bonus, you can feel good about giving them to your kids! now that's a win all around.
recipe: energy bites
yields: 8-10 small balls
- 1 small, very ripe banana, smashed
- 1/4 c peanuts butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 3/4 c raw quick oats
- 3 Tbsp raw grated/shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 - 2 Tbsp raisins (dried cranberries or cherries are delicious too)
- 1 Tbsp raw walnuts, chopped
- 1 Tbsp salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
- pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips - optional but recommended
- mix the banana, peanut butter & vanilla until very well combined.
- add the oats, coconut, raisins, walnuts, peanuts, cinnamon, salt & chia seeds
- stir to combine.
- stir in the chocolate chips (if using)
- roll into small balls - roughly golf-ball size
- put on a plate or baking sheet and place it in the freezer until the balls are set - 30 minutes to an hour. you can skip this step, but the balls hold together best when frozen
- when frozen, remove from freezer, transfer to a freezer-safe bag or re-usable container and store in the freezer.
h & s
step 1- mash that pb & banana...
step 2 -- add in the main ingredients...
step 3 -- stir in the fun stuff...
step 4 -- complete!