our take on the classic, this vegetarian french onion soup combines rich, slow-cooked caramelized onions with earthy mushrooms & simple spices. gooey melted cheese on top. rich and healthy, our french onion soup really hits the spot!
french onion soup is a classic dish that has evolved from the tables of peasants to a staple on many a restaurant menu. and with good reason - the combination of rich, sweet caramelized onions & broth is simple, inexpensive and tasty. what's not to like?
of course, french onion soup is typically not a vegetarian dish, as beef broth is the historical broth of choice. but why should vegetarians be denied the pleasures of this comforting soup? simply swap veggie broth for the beef and voila - vegetarian french onion soup!
caramelized onions are one of those ingredients that always adds a complex sweetness and depth of flavor to whatever dish it's in. french onion soup is, at it's core, a big bowl of caramelized onions, simmered in broth with some spices. at some point someone (genius) thought to add cheese & crusty bread to the mix, creating a heartier - and dare i say yummier - dish.
this soup is perfect for those chilly winter nights. simple ingredients & cooked in under an hour - our version is definitely a spin on the classic, but every bit as easy, tasty, filling & comforting. those peasants sure had the right idea with this one.
recipe: french onion soup (serves 2)
- 6 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 large button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 c veggie broth/stock
- salt, pepper, dried thyme & garlic powder - to taste
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 c shredded mozzerella
- 1/3 c shredded parm/asiago mix (we use the trader joe's stuff) or 4 Tbsp grated parm (from the can)
- 2 Fieldroast smoked apple sage veggie sausages
- heat the butter & oil in a large soup/sauce pan
- add the onion, garlic & a pinch of salt & cook on low, covered
- after the onions have begun to release their juices - about 5 minutes - add the mushrooms, a pinch of pepper, & a dash of garlic powder and thyme.
- stir & continue to cook on low, covered, for another 20 - 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- add the broth & cook another 5 minutes - until the broth has come to a rolling boil
- reduce heat to medium & simmer for another 5 minutes
- while the soup is simmering, spray a skillet with cooking spray & cook the veggie sausages on low. remove from heat & slice
- taste (carefully) and adjust the seasonings as needed
- put 1 sliced sausage into each bowl
- ladle into bowls & top -generously- with the cheese
- serve with some hot, crusty bread & a greens salad
s & h