recipe re-mix! this green bean - mushroom pasta casserole combines the classic green bean casserole with a rich & creamy mushroom pasta. a new take on two old favorites!
you know how there are some recipes that we reserve for the holidays (green bean casserole, say), & others that are a part of the everyday rotation? well this green bean-mushroom pasta casserole takes two such recipes and combines them. recipe re-mix at it's finest. the result is a creamy, rich, festive dish that moves that ol' green bean casserole away from the other sides and into the spotlight - where it rightfully belongs!
mushroom pasta is one of those classic cream-of-something dishes. you take a handful of pantry staples, add some pasta, and have a tasty, filling meal on the table in about 15 minutes. as a busy parent/student/person those types of recipe just can't be beat.
and so, with the holidays in full swing, time at a premium and half a can of those tasty little fried onion pieces on the counter, this recipe re-mix was born. and trust us, it works. tasty, hearty & comforting, it is the perfect dish for those chilly winter nights.
recipe: green bean - mushroom pasta casserole
- 1 can (partially prepared) cream of mushroom soup (we use Annie's)
- 1/2 can crispy onions
- 1 box of pasta - shells are the classic but any short shape will work
- 1/2 c grated parmesan cheese (we use the canned stuff)
- 1/2 c milk, optional - only used if condensed soup is used
- 1/2 bag frozen green beans
- 8 button mushrooms, finely chopped
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 c shredded mozzerella cheese, optional
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees & lightly butter a casserole dish
- bring a large pot of water to the boil, add pasta & cook according to package directions.
- drain & set aside
- while the pasta is cooking, combine the mushrooms & soup and heat on medium-low until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- when the mushrooms are fully cooked, add the pepper, garlic powder & green beans & continue to cook for 3 more minutes.
- remove from heat and add the parmesan cheese
- add the soup mixture to the pasta and stir to combine.
- spoon the pasta into the casserole dish and springle the crispy onions all around the edge of the dish
- sprinkle the mozzerella in the middle of the dish
- bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the mozzerella is melted and the casserole is bubbly.
- remove from oven & enjoy!
- **NO-BAKE option
- after combining the soup & pasta, spoon into individual bowls, and top with the crispy onions and mozzerella.
- cover with foil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
s & h