a childhood favorite, these cut up hot dogs in baked beans is the ultimate quick, simple & tasty kid-friendly meal!
this dish is, for my family, a comfort-food classic. one of those recipes that is so quick, easy & tasty that we would have it nearly once a week. now that i'm a mom myself, i can easily see why - with school, homework, after-school activities, when a dish is on the table in under 15 minutes, it is a definite win.
lets talk hot dogs for a minute... yes, they have a very bad reputation, and yes, they are typically full of all sorts of terrifying things that neither i nor my family would ever want to eat. but believe it or not there are some better brands out there. because h & i don't eat meat, and ben eats whatever we have, we had to do a lot - and i mean a LOT - of trial and error to find a good vegetarian hot dog. it seems that 98 % of vegetarian hot dogs are absolutely disgusting. luckily, our research paid off when we stumbled upon Fieldroast frankfurters. these things are better than the real deal. perfect smokiness, perfect texture & grain based (i.e. not scary!). i would recommend these hot dogs to anyone, meat eaters & vegetarians alike!
i think we can all agree that most food is better with butter - doesn't have to be a lot, but the flavor just can't be beat. and when you saute little slices of cut up hot dogs in butter until they're browned and fabulous & then cover them in baked beans... ahhh it is so, so good! hearty, healthy and absolutely comforting.
recipe: cut up hot dogs in baked beans (serves 3)
- 3 hot dogs - Fieldroast frankfurters recommended
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 14 oz can vegetarian baked beans
- heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat
- while the butter is melting, slice the hot dogs into rings, about an 1/8 to a 1/4" thick
- when the butter is hot, add the hot dogs to the pan, stirring every few minutes until they are browned and glistening
- add in the can of baked beans, juice and all and stir to combine.
- cook another 3 minutes or so, until the beans are bubbling and hot.
- spoon into bowls & enjoy!
s & h