a fresh take on a grilled cheese - these apple & cheddar sandwiches combine crisp apples, sharp cheddar cheese & sweet-spicy cinnamon raisin bread. a vermont-inspired twist on a sandwich classic!
fruit & cheese is a popular food-combo all over the world, and in vermont, apple and cheddar is the classic pairing. sounds a bit weird at first, i know, but give it a sec. why not pair gooey, rich cheese with sweet-tart, crisp apples? add in some toasty cinnamon-raisin bread (from vermont bread company, naturally!) and you've got sandwich bliss.
the first time i ever really experienced apples & cheddar together was when i went to college at the university of vermont. vermont is known for a few specific foods, cheddar cheese - cabot, & jasper hill, i'm looking at you - being one of the most popular, with apples coming in a close second. before that, the closest thing i'd ever had was a slice of american cheese wrapped around a banana, which sounds disgusting, but is so good in that simple, childhood way. no dis-respect bananas, but i think i graduated up on this one.
this sandwich takes the fruit-cheese pairing to the next level. cinnamon-raisin bread (cranberry bread would be great here too) brings a toasty coziness and perfectly compliments the crisp apples and melted cheese. as the sandwich toasts in the oven, the apples get a bit soft, and the flavors really come together. perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, this apple & cheddar sandwich really hits the spot.
recipe: apple - cheddar sandwiches (serves 2)
- 1/2 crisp apple, very thinly slcied - we used gold rush, but fuji, jazz or braeburn are great)
- 4 slices cinnamon raisin bread
- 1/2 c, packed sharp cheddar cheese
- heat the oven to 400 degrees
- set out 2 squares of foil - enough to wrap each sandwich
- lay the bread on a baking sheet, and toast until just beginning to crisp, about 5 minutes
- remove from oven and lay one piece of bread on each square of foil
- sprinkle on a bit of cheese & layer on 1/2 of the sliced apple
- top with more cheese & cap the sandwich with the remaining slice of bread
- wrap each sandwich tightly in foil and return to the oven for 10 - 15 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted
- remove from the oven & enjoy!
h & s